Friday, February 20, 2009

Catch a break!

When can a woman catch a break?! This year has not been a good year for me as far as health goes. Usually I get sick once a year and it’s been twice so far plus another disaster. We visited Joe’s family for New Year’s, which was a blast, but his sister and her youngest son were sick. As much as we all tried to not pass it on. I, unfortunately, got something towards the end of our stay. It was a massive soar throat. I have never had any sore throat so bad before. It hurt to simply swallow, so it was more painful to swallow food. So I didn’t eat too much during that time. I did go into the doctor b/c I just couldn’t handle it any longer. What she prescribed helped a little and made it a little more manageable to eat, but it still hurt. After about 2 weeks of this, it finally went away. Then I had 2 good weeks and then again at the first part of February, I got a cold again. Luckily it wasn’t it my throat, just my nose. Usually Sudafed 12 hr decongestant works for me, but not this time. I had to go to the Mucsinex D to even get it to somewhat clear out so I could breathe through my nose at night. My next hurdle—abdominal pain. Out of the blue, I had pains in my lower abdomen. Something that I though just might have been gas pains, but the next thing I know it’s moving up into my upper abdomen. The next thing I know—it’s hard to breathe. I can’t take deep breaths, only shallow, short ones. I can’t use any of my abdominal muscles or it feels like I am being stabbed with 100 knives. It hurt to lay on either side, but my right side more than the left. (I think, or it was the other way around). I also couldn’t flip over in bed. I had to slowly lift myself up, stand up, and then gently lay myself back down on the other side. Needless to say the night of Feb. 6, I didn’t get a lot of sleep. This went on for a few days (on top of the cold, mind you), gradually decreasing each day. Unfortunately, I couldn’t teach my Primary class Sunday, February 8th. I was just not going well at all. Luckily, I was doing good by Valentine’s Day though. (that’s another post.) Then come President’s Day. Unfortunately, Joe had to go to work, but thankfully he not has a job to go to work. But since he’s still in his “probationary phase” if he didn’t work, he didn’t get paid. So we went in. we didn’t really have anything planned, but the worst of all my problems came that day. I had made a list of things I needed to get done that day. (Lists are the best!!!) One of them was laundry. Landon needs pants for school. It was about 11-11:30 in the morning and I take the boys’ clothes down to sort and wash. As I was bending over sorting the clothes, all of a sudden and out of no where, I am collapsing on the floor from sharp pains in my lower back. Oh, it was so awful. I tried to stand up, but that wasn’t happening. All I could do was lay on the floor and not move too much. A few blessings came out of this. As I was laying on the floor wondering what I was going to do and how I was ganna take care of the kids, Joe called. He usually does not call me from work. Maybe b/c it was a slower day with it being a holiday and he was bored that he called. I asked later and he wasn’t sure why. But I know it was the Spirit telling him to call. I told him what had happened and what should I do. Since this has happened to him twice last year, he could empathize with me. He said that all I could do was lay down and rest. I had to call the boys in (luckily Landon was home b/c of holiday b/c being older he understands a lot more than Parker and can help out) and explain to them that mommy needed their help b/c I got hurt. Landon, with some help from me, started the wash. Then I managed to get over to the couch where it was a little more comfortable. Around 1 pm, when I realized that I hadn’t eaten anything that day and I am sure the boys would be getting hungry soon, I thought to get up off the couch when I heard the garage door open. Again, another blessing. Joe was home!! Perfect timing again!! He helped me up to bed where I would be more comfortable and warmer, brought me some food, and then took care of the boys the rest of the day. I was down for a couple of days. I finally felt ok enough to stand up and take a shower. (b/c before standing, I felt like an old woman totally hunched over and hobbling or crawling wherever I needed to go. With the crawling thing, I wonder how kids do it. It’s a lot of work.) Now even 5 days later although I don’t have shearing pain, it’s still a dull pain. One thing I know for sure I don’t want that to happen again. I am ready to be totally healthy. I now am grateful for the little things of my body. It’s amazing what I take for granted everyday of my life when I am healthy—things like my back and being able to get around easily and walk quickly down the hallway. I am truly grateful for those little things in life. I just hope and pray that I will recover from all these things soon!

1 comment:

julie said...

sorry to hear you've been having so much trouble lately. hope you're 100% soon! take care of yourself.